Developer / Web Site Owners
Introduction: what are my options?
There are many ways to connect your web site to Netlog, leveraging our large community. Very often, even an easily implemented link or widget on your site can make a huge difference. So, what can you do?
- An easy but effective way to show your visitors the way to your Netlog page is a banner with a link on your site. I want this!
- With the 'Share on Netlog' widgets your visitors can link, shout or blog about your site with just a few clicks. I want this!
- External component: integrate an individual component from your brand page's content website, with dynamically updating content - a great way to convince users to become friends! This is only available for brand pages. I want this!
- Friend Connect: instantly turn your site in a small social Network: users can use their Netlog account to log in, post messages, follow activities... All by placing some FriendConnect widgets on your site: 'members', 'recent visitors', 'messages' ... Technically this uses a combination of the 2 technologies below, but Google did all the hard work to make it super-easy for site owners. I want this!
- Open Id: allow your visitors to log in your site with their Netlog account. This is typically used for blog or news sites where users comment on content. I want this!
- OpenSocial + OAuth: truly use your visitor's Netlog profile data and interact with Netlog from your site (both fetching and posting activity logs, pictures ...). The user needs to give explicit permission for this the first time you want to do this from your site. I want this!
- OpenSocial within Netlog: if your external site is not information-based, but has some particular functionality (e.g. printing photo albums), consider building it as an openSocial application: truely integrated in Netlog, but users will not even know there's also an external site. But if your external web site has a service, this is definitely the way to go (and has the best monetization opportunities). Read more...